Personalized Chef Aprons and More!
For the toppings:
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon milk
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon poppy seeds.
1. In a large bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast, salt
and sugar. In a small saucepan,
combine milk and butter, and place over low heat until milk is lukewarm. Pour into bowl
of dry ingredients, and mix with a fork to make a rough dough, adding more flour if necessary.
2. Using a mixer with dough hook, or by hand, knead dough
until smooth and silky. Place
in an oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until double in size,
about 1 hour.
3. Punch air out of dough. Oil a baking sheet, and set
aside. Pull off pieces of dough the
size of walnuts, and form into round balls. Place on baking sheet almost touching, about
1/4 inch apart, in 6 rows of 5 each. Cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place
30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oven to 425 degrees.
4. When rolls have risen, make a glaze by beating together
the egg, milk and salt. Paint rolls
with glaze. Sprinkle one row with sesame seeds and the next with poppy seeds; leave the
third row plain, and then repeat pattern. (A teaspoon of seeds should decorate 2 rows.)
5. Bake rolls until risen and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Transfer to a cooling rack
or serve immediately. To serve, place on a plate so rolls can be torn off to be eaten.