4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 ounces (1 stick) margarine, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners sugar, divided
2 cups sifted or pre-sifted flour
½ teaspoon salt
1½ cups walnuts, chopped fine
1. Heat the oven to 350F degrees. Cover cookie sheets
with baking parchment
and set aside.
2. Blend the butter and margarine with a wooden spoon
or an electric mixer at
the slowest speed. Add the vanilla and 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar, beating
3. Mix the flour and salt. Gradually add the flour to
the creamed mixture and beat
it until a soft dough forms.
4. Add the walnuts and stir until incorporated.
5. With your hands, form the dough into 1-inch balls and
place them two inches
apart on parchment-lined pans. Press each ball slightly in the center. They will
flatten as they bake.
6. Bake until cookies are golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Toss the warm cookies in remaining confectioners sugar.