1. In a grill with a cover, build a small fire to one
side, making sure all the wood or
charcoal becomes engulfed in flame. (This dish should not be attempted on a gas grill.)
2. Mix dry ingredients together in bowl, using a fork
to break down hunks of brown sugar.
Apply this rub to pork butt with your hands, covering meat entirely.
3. When flames begin to die down, leaving flickering coals,
place meat on grill on the
side without fire. Do not let flames touch meat at any time.
4. Cover grill, vent slightly and cook, checking fire
every 30 minutes or so, and adding
a bit more fuel as necessary, for about 14 hours, until meat is soft to the touch.
5. Remove meat from grill with tongs, let rest 10 minutes,
and pull meat apart with tongs.
Serve on hamburger buns, drizzled with sauce. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.